This story will sound all too familiar for most of you. It was that point in time when you were on-point! You were on that gym grind. You never missed your favorite workout class at the gym. You had salads for lunch. You avoided beer at all costs. You were good. You were real good. You were pinning all the fitness things on Pinterest. You were following every motivational twitter account. You were liking all the inspirational pictures on Instagram. You might have even thrown a “Progress Pic” up there yourself! Whatever your motivation was– vacation, summer, beach, etc., you had it and nothing was going to stop you!!!
Until that one week….
Either the vacation happened, summer happened, or just life in general caught up and you missed a week in the gym. You could “afford” to eat that piece of chocolate here and there or maybe “relax” with just a couple beers after a long week. “I’ll start up again on Monday.” That turned to “I’ll start up again the 1st of the month.” Weeks pass and you look back disgusted because you see yourself and all that hard work has disappeared!
We have all been here before! Unfortunately you will probably be here again, but realize one thing, today is a new day to start. Today is an opportunity to start a journey, that at first may seem like you are “playing catch up,” but in-fact use it become STRONGER, FASTER, BETTER than you were before. The road will be long, but time is all you have! Mark the calendar with an “end date.” Let this be a goal and reward yourself once you reach it. Don’t fall backwards once you hit it.
The hardest part is not getting in the best shape of your life. It certainly is not hard to quit. The hardest part is starting over. It is taking those set backs and making them your comeback. If you are tired of starting over… STOP GIVING UP!
As Fall approaches, the leaves start to change, the pumpkin craze returns, and school starts up again! Besides New Years, the week after Labor Day is the biggest “Time to Change.” As we put away the bathing suits till 2014, we fantasize how toned and cut our bodies will be next Memorial Day. “It starts after Labor Day! I will go to the gym everyday. I will eat right. I will get in the best shape of my life.”
While we applaud you for your motivation, we fear that it won’t even last till Halloween, but we are here to help! Why is “NOW” be a great time to start? September is 4-months away from January. The most famous time of the year for New Years Resolutions to get fit. Coming quickly just after weeks of holiday parties which consists of over eating, wintery drinks, and warm treats, it is very difficult to just drop everything; however, September is different!
Think of September as a warm up. As an opportunity to start to make the smallest of changes in your diet and workout schedule. Back to school means more of a schedule. If you start to gradually build your mindset to this healthier standpoint, not only will you dramatically see results, but January will bring a wave of motivation to take it to the next level!
Our Top 10 Small Change – Big Results
- Drink More Water!
- Don’t Skip Breakfast. Avoid the High Carbs (Bagels, Pastries, Pop Tarts!)
- Adopt a Sleep Pattern. “All Nighters” will cause you to reach for sweets to stay awake.
- Be Happy! Unhappiness increases your chance of getting sick by 35 percent
- Daycation- Give YOURSELF a break from social media. Relax your mind 30-minutes a day
- Happy Hour? If you drink alcohol with diet soda, try switching to regular soda, lemonade or iced tea. Artificial sweeteners pass through your digestive system faster, making you feel more inebriated.
- Making a Sandwich- Choose Mustard over Mayo. It has no fat, compared with mayo, which has 11 grams and 99 calories in 1 Tbsp.
- Smaller Plate- Substitute a smaller plate for a dinner plate. Your mind’s eye will think you ate more than you did
- No Elevators! Take the stairs!
- SHOP! Go buy a new pair of running shoes and fitness apparel. You will be more motivated to workout when you see yourself in the new outfits.
Start Today! Rid yourself of “All or Nothing.” If you start to make the small changes each day, you will see results. If you drop all “bad food” and workout for hours 7x a week, you will crash and do more harm than good to your body.