With the return of football, the weekends are often filled with ‘catching the game’ at a friend’s house or a bar. More recently, it is not just the guys screaming at the TV, but the wives and girlfriends have joined in the fun. As you scream at the screen cheering for your team, yelling at the ref, or making last minute fantasy team changes, you are surrounded with temptations. The wings, the pizza, the dips, the chips, the beers. For us college students, saturday is for tailgating and supporting our school. Sunday is for supporting “the team.” How can we still watch the game without throwing in the towel on our diets. Afterall, you can’t out work a bad diet!
1) Chicken Tenders over Buffalo Wings. Tenders have a fraction of the fat, calories and sodium compared to wings!
2) Dips. Go for dips that are filled with black beans, fresh vegetables, and salsa as opposed to cheese!
3) Make a Plate. If you are at a house party, make a plate and sit away from the temptations. Portion control on your plate will help eliminate casual picking.
4) Popcorn! A healthy snack to add to the list would be popcorn. Look for low-sodium and avoid “buttery blast”
5) Pre-game. Before the big game, wake up a little earlier than usual. Eat a healthy breakfast and exercise! Don’t use this an excuse to double dip in the treats!
6) Thin Crust! Don’t go ‘deep’ with the crust or add extra cheese. Dab the oil and reach for the thin crust pizza
7) Drive! That’s right…drive! We HOPE you will be responsible and not drink over the limit and drive. Go enjoy a beer or two in the first half than relax because you are responsible!
8) Host! Instead of driving, host the game. You can control which snacks to put out!